Winter Park, FL 32789
Seeking consultation and construction management opportunities with architects, designers, builders and home owners, that want to optimize the residential construction or green certification processes. Utilize skills and resources to enhance company and project goals.
A dynamic, goal-oriented professional with extensive skills and experience in the light commercial and residential construction industry. Highly proficient in the development of systems and procedures used in the management of a high-end custom home building company. Expert-level abilities at project management, construction scheduling, job cost accounting, estimating and use of internet communication tools. Highl regarded as being personable and developing strong relationships with customers, vendors and employees. Known for high-quality construction, innovative design and attention to detail.
- Masters Degree in Building Construction – University of Florida, 1989 (high honors).
- Bachelors Degree in Building Construction – University of Florida, 1982 (honors).
- Graduate Assistant – University of Florida, 1983:
Taught construction scheduling under the direction of Dr. Rodney Cox.
- Construction Scheduling with Microsoft Project, Natura Project@Hand and SmartSheet software.
- Accounting and Job Cost Control with QuickBooks Pro software.
- Spreadsheet-based Estimating and Historical Cost Analysis.
- Website Development and Management using various software and online resources.
- Managing and Administration of all aspects of a custom home construction project.
- Supervising Construction of High-End Custom Homes.
- Systems and Procedures development for managing a Custom Home Building Company.
- Custom Home Design and Working Drawings development.
- CAD Design and Drawing using SoftPlan software (limited experience).
- HBA of Metro-Orlando Board of Directors
- Member National Association of Home Builders
- NAHB Certified Trainer and Green Professional
- Member NAHB Builder 20 Club since 1997
- Member Homebuilders Association of Metro-Orlando since 1988
- Chairman HBA Green Building Advisory Board
- Chairman HBA Education Committee
- Member Master Custom Builders Council
- Member MCBC Legal Documents and Continuing Education Committees
- Member Winter Park Chamber of Commerce
- Member Winter Park Toastmasters
- 2009 Business Excellence Award – Residential Design & Build Magazine
- 9-time Parade of Homes Winner
- 6-time NAHB National Convention Attendee
- 5-time Custom Builder Symposium Attendee
- 1994 National Custom Builder Convention Show Home Builder and Speaker
- Florida State Licensed Building Contractor since 1984 (scored 97%)
- Featured in numerous local and national trade publications (list or copies available)
- Construction Director and Green Project Administrator at Phil Kean Designs (2011)
Developed numerous systems and procedures for managing residential construction projects and coordinate all aspects of green certification processes.
- Business Owner at Groninger Custom Homes (1994 to 2010):
Managed all aspects of a $2-5 million custom home building business. Groninger Homes was
recognized as one of the most respected home builders in the Winter Park, Florida area.
- Professor of Construction Management and Building Science at Everglades University (2010):
Teach accredited college courses on management skills and construction business knowledge.
- Business Partner at South Groninger Homes (1988 to 1994):
Managed all construction and administration of high-end custom homes throughout Central Florida.
- Estimator and Project Manager at Aagaard-Juergenson General Contractor (1984 to 1988):
Managed all aspects of commercial construction projects including schools, shopping centers, office buildings and warehouses.
Strengths & Specialties
- High level expertise and extensive experience developing and managing sophisticated computerized construction scheduling software programs. Strong emphasis on critical path method and expedited scheduling to serve customer needs and maximize profitability.
- Implemented and manage a quality control program that includes the use of scopes of work and purchase order procedures. Won 2009 Business Excellence Award from Residential Design & Build Magazine for Groninger Homes Job Notes System.
- Extensive experience in construction document development and review for building code compliance and building permit submittal.
- Implemented and manage a safety program with emphasis on OSHA requirements, which includes jobsite instructional meetings, reporting of concerns and violations to trade partners, and documentation including MSDS sheets.
- Performed all estimating duties for a commercial construction company with projects ranging from $250,000 to over $5,000,000. Developed the first computerized estimating spreadsheet and AIA draw request procedures. These were MS-DOS-based programs created to the advent of Microsoft Windows.
- Highly experienced with public bid-openings and informal bid presentations. Created estimates for Fixed Bid and Negotiated contract projects.
- 1988-2000 Utilized different estimating software packages including BuildSoft and MasterBuilder.
- Currently utilize a combination of Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks for estimating and job cost tasks.
- Developed estimating templates in MS Excel to conceptual and preliminary estimating as well as unit quantity estimates.
- Extensive experience in grocery store plumbing and piping systems. Responsible for design ofresidential plumbing systems including pipe sizing, flow analysis and looped hot water systems.
- Extensive experience in grocery store refrigeration systems and several types of commercial HVACsystems.
- Extensive experience in high-end residential HVAC systems that includes high-efficiency, ground-source, multi-zone, multi-speed and green certified.
- Winter Park, Florida Resident since 1973.
- Married 28 years: Camie Carson – Nurse-Practitioner; Masters Degree – Univ. of Florida.
- 2 children: 21-year old daughter attending UCF; 19-year old son attending FSU.
- Personal profile can be found on FaceBook, LinkedIn and Google+.
- 2-time Habitat for Humanity Home Builder.
- Winter Park Day Care remodel project Lead Builder.
- Winter Park High School Lacrosse Game Announcer (2007 to present).
- Orange County Youth Lacrosse Boys’ Coach (2006 to present):
- Certified by US Lacrosse and Positive Coaching Alliance.
- Cub Scout Den Leader and Cub Master (2001 to 2005).
- Florida Gator Football Booster since 1990
- Technical Reading and Computers
- Fitness and Nutrition (2008 & 2009 Natural Mr. Florida runner-up)
- Surfing and Travel
- Woodworking and Gardening
- Automotive Restoration and Customization (1959 Chevy Parkwood)
- Ken & Ruth Bradley – Mayor, City of Winter Park: 407.645.1110 / email@example.com (New Home Customer)
- Ted & Jackie Hamilton – Hospital Executive Administrator: 407.975.1296 / firstname.lastname@example.org (New Home Buyer / New Home Customer)
- Alan Parker – Retired Real Estate Professional: 407.677.7266 / email@example.com (New Home Customer)
- Andy & Christy Matthews – Real Estate Professional: 407.629.2869 / firstname.lastname@example.org (Two-Time New Home Customer)
- Sandra Cash Jones – Real Estate Professional: 407.256.5521 / email@example.com (Realtor Associate)
- Rick Caccavello – Small Business Owner: 407.629.9366 / firstname.lastname@example.org (Business Associate)
- Jay Grant – Home Builder: 201.602.1199 / email@example.com (Professional Group Associate)
- Angela Whitney – Project Manager: 407.417.1298 / firstname.lastname@example.org (Groninger Homes Employee)
A full list of references is available upon request.