There are some strategies for achieving low initial cost that make sense if followed in steps.
- Design the home to be inexpensive to build.
- Evaluate needs and reduce emotional desires.
- Establish “preferred builder” status.
- Develop detailed specifications and work descriptions.
- Shop for the best price.
There are also strategies to consider to keep operation and maintenance costs in check.
- Capitalize on solar orientation and passive solar design techniques.
- Reduce energy demand and increase energy efficiency.
- Select low-maintenance products and use durable construction techniques.
- Follow Florida-friendly landscaping and irrigation recommendations.
- Perform routine maintenance and periodic performance checks.